Wednesday, November 10, 2010

An Experience

One more experience. I was sitting with my son talking about the doctors office visit that we had the next day (today). He started crying, saying that he didn't want to get a shot. "It will hurt so bad, Mom. I don't want to get a shot. I want to stay here!" Tears were rolling down his cheeks. He really is afraid of shots. He has always hated them, and it is always an ordeal getting vaccinated. Later that evening I was reading an account of a mother and father suffering heartache of a child who was truly suffering. He had many medical problems (although they didn't call them problems) and was not able to function as a healthy child would. I don't handle suffering well. I found myself crying last night to Heavenly Father. "I know that we have to go through hard things in this life. I want the end result, to be more like Thee, but it is hard. I know we have to suffer our selves, or worse, watch our loved ones suffer... but not my babies. I don't know if I can do that. Please Father, protect my babies! Don't let them suffer." I went on for a minute, and when I stopped, into my head popped my own words that I found myself teaching my child a couple hours earlier. "I know it hurts Braxton. I don't like getting shots either, but it will only hurt for a minute and then it will be all over." I explained to him that the shot is to make us strong and keep us from getting really sick. I learned a loving lesson, in a kind way from a kind Father. "Child, these things do hurt. I don't want you to to have to suffer either, but they won't last long and the things you suffer will be a help to you. They will humble you and keep you close to me. They will give you wisdom to help others. They will make you more like me". Or as the Lord comforted Joseph in section 121, "Peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; and then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." I am thankful for my Father in Heaven who knows me; my heart, my fears, my desires, my weaknesses. I am thankful for the scriptures that give me strength. I pray to Heavenly Father that, whatever challenges I am given to go through in this life, he will give me strength when I need it, and I know he will, because he always has.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Thank you dear friend. I really needed that right now.