Sunday, December 15, 2013

"Goin' Out to Sea are We?"

While shopping we were scrutinized like you wouldn't believe. Everyone seems to come to the store daily to get what they need for dinner that day. It was quite the adventure. We went to three stores, and each time the same things happened. One time a guy said, "headed out to sea are we?" I'm so thankful Amanda was with me... What would have been an unenjoyable experience was great fun. something that surprised me was the size of goods sold! I'm sure this isn't surprising to anyone else that has travelled, but everything is sold in small quantities here. There are fresh meat and fruit markets on every corner! I LOVE this. The meat is cut in front of you (well, in a room in back of the counter with the door open) and is really fresh. (SMELLS AWFUL, but what a great way to shop for meat) The fish is delicious and inexpensive. We have grilled fish more than any other meat. Hoki and baka are two that we have liked. The stores are very small here and don't have many brands of one item. Lack of competition, perhaps, is one of the reasons for high prices? I LOVE that the food here is free of artificial everything. Their main grocery store doesn't sell anything with artificial flavours, colours or preservatives! That has been incredible. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. We have really appreciated that! Auto correct keeps telling me Incorrectly. So great. I know the differences between the spelling, but I'm wondering how Braxton will do on spelling tests. :)

No comments: