Sunday, August 26, 2012
The Itsy Bitsy Spider...
Crawled into Logan's shoe. Logan was bit by a black widow yesterday morning. We were going out for a ward day of service and he was excited to help. The boys all got dressed and grabbed their shoes and off went. Braxton grabbed a shovel, Logan was walking around checking out the activities that had already began and Caleb was playing with a car in the dirt. Logan came over and told me that something was in his shoe. We were getting ready to lay sod, so I thought it was dirt. I dumped his shoe and put it back on his foot. He kept saying, "Owe!" He pointed to the dirt and asked what "that thing" was that was moving. I didn't see anything and told him it was just the loose dirt moving around. (We had just churned it up) It persisted and, finally, on the third attempt and him showing me, I saw a curled up black widow. FANTASTIC. I showed Ryan and some friends said we should take him in immediately. We headed for the ER and started getting him taken care of. For the next 24 hours he would constantly say, "please take care of me". It was a miserable, pretty agonizing experience for my sweet baby. The symptoms began a bit slower than normal because the bite was on the toe. Within the hour of being bit he was having muscle spasms from the venom. The next 12 hours the symptoms got worse. He had horrible abdominal pain and was having intense muscle spasms very frequently. He is such a sweet, brave boy. Parker is Logan's love in this life. When it got really bad, he asked me to bring parker in to him. His screaming scared Parker and Parker started crying. Everytime Park cried he would try his best to talk to him through tears. He said the same thing every time, "It's okay Park. I'm pretty okay." He kissed him and tried assuring Parker that HE was okay. It was truly heartbreaking. He wanted me touching him at all times. I had to leave a couple of times, just to run to the kitchen and it upset him so much. We had some very tender experiences. His brothers really rallied around him helping to distract from his pain. Braxton colored pictures and played music for him. Neighbors and dear friends brought over treats and things to do. He was prescibed Lortab and Valium and neither of them helped a lot. It seemed to only aggrivate him. This morning, about 22 hours after the bite, he was doing a lot better. He started talking more, walking and eating. He is my little hero. I love our little family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Jess-How scary! So glad that Logan is doing better. How lucky is he to have such great brothers. Love all of them!!!
Oh. my. gosh. That sounds so scary-I'm so glad everything turned out ok! That would be so hard to see your little guy go through that. I love the updated picture-you guys look great. I miss you guys! I can't believe I don't really know Caleb and Parker, I've seen them as babies but Braxton and Logan were the ones we really hung out with. What a beautiful bunch of boys :) They are all so clean cut and handsome, they must have the best mom :) I miss talking to you, I know life must be crazy busy every moment of the day...but if you have a free moment and need some girl chat time I would LOVE to catch up with you! 801-735-5185 Love you guys
Poor kid. That is so sad and scary. What an ordeal, I would have been freaking out. Wish I was there so I could've watched your other kiddos for you. Miss you guys!!!
Post a Comment